At CES 2012, for the first time Sony launched two new smartphones that use the Android OS, the Xperia Ion and Xperia S. Sony Xperia S has a 4.3 inch screen Reality Display 1280X720piksel resolution and has a pixel density of 342ppi, while the iPhone 4S with 960x640piksel resolution 3.5-inch screen has a pixel density of 326ppi.
Xperia S featuring a new design approach known as iconic identity. Transparent elements in the bottom of the screen which created the iconic silhouette looks stressed and underlined. In addition, this design gives the effect of light and integrate the components of the antenna.
This product allows easy connectivity with a variety of screens for consumers who want to share and enjoy content in any type of screen that best suits their situation, be it TV, smartphones, laptops and tablets.
Xperia S also has the NFC that enables consumers to share content between each other, and enjoy the services and applications growing number of NFC.
This phone uses Qualcomm MSM8260 chipset heavyweight dual-core 1.5GHz and 1GB RAM. Xperia S also offers an internal storage of 16GB or 32GB, but unfortunately there is no option of expansion.
Sony Exmor response speed camera 12 mega pixels, so as to take pictures in approximately 1.5 sec calculated from the stand-by position. The main camera has video recording capabilities hihd definition 1080p format. The camera support can be used to record video with 720p format.
Availability Xperia S will be available to consumers globally starting from the first quarter of 2012. The launch of the Xperia S on Gingerbread Android 2.3 platform will be on the upgrade to the Android 4.0 platform Ice Cream Sandwich in the second quarter of 2012.
Sony Xperia S Specification
- 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100 – LT26i | HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 – LT26a
- Android OS, v2.3 (Gingerbread), planned upgrade to v4.0
- Dual-core 1.5 GHz
- Dimensions 128 x 64 x 10.6 mm
- Weight 144 g
- Touch-sensitive controls
- LED-backlit LCD, capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- 720 x 1280 pixels, 4.3 inches (~342 ppi pixel density)
- Multitouch up to 10 fingers
- Protection Scratch-resistant glass
- Sony Mobile BRAVIA Engine
- Timescape UI
- Vibration; MP3 ringtones
- 3.5mm jack
- Internal 16/32 GB, 1 GB RAM
- GPRS Up to 86 kbps
- EDGE Up to 237 kbps
- HSDPA, 14.4 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.8 Mbps
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP, EDR
- USB microUSB v2.0, HS, USB On-the-go support
- Primary 12 MP, 4000×3000 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
- Geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, 3D sweep panorama, image stabilization
- Video 1080p@30fps, continuous autofocus, video light, video stabilizer
- Secondary 1.3 MP, 720p@30fps
- Sensors Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Browser HTML5, Adobe Flash
- Radio Stereo FM radio with RDS
- GPS with A-GPS support and GLONASS
- Java via Java MIDP emulator
- Colors Silver, Black
- HDMI port
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- MP4/H.263/H.264/WMV player
- MP3/eAAC+/WMA/WAV player
- Standard battery, Li-Ion 1750 mAh
- Stand-by Up to 450 h (2G) / Up to 420 h (3G)
- Talk time Up to 7 h 30 min (2G) / Up to 8 h 30 min (3G)
- Music play Up to 25 h